As South Africa’s biggest trial of the century gathers steam (as it’s been billed), the court was shown back and forth texts between the celebrity couple that have led to some grimacing not all was going well prior to the model being gunned down by Oscar Pistorius. To date the paralegal Olympian has claimed he thought Reeva Steenkamp was an intruder on the night of her shooting death, but that might not necessarily be the case as new evidence enters the courtroom.
Prosecutors have alleged that Pistorius intentionally shot Steenkamp following a heated argument in the early morning hours of February 14, 2013.
While a police IT expert said 90% of the WhatsApp messages were normal and “loving,” a small portion showed a complicated, jealous relationship. A sampling, per Sky News, the Telegraph, and the Independent:
- Steenkamp: “I’m scared of u sometimes and how u snap at me and of how u will react to me.”
- “I do everything to make u happy and to not say anything to rock the boat with u. You do everything to throw tantrums in front of people.”
- “I’m sorry you think I was hitting on my friend’s husband and u think so little of me. I just want to be loved and to love. Right now I am very unhappy and sad”
- “I can’t be attacked by outsiders for dating you and then be attacked by you..the one person I need protection from.”
- Pistorius: “I was standing tight behind me watching you touch his arm. But when I left, u just kept on chatting to him. I’m sorry I asked u to stop touching my neck.”
- Pistorious admitted he is “tired and sick” but that doesn’t excuse his jealous behavior.
- Apparently in reference to a shooting incident, he wrote “Angel, please don’t say a thing to any one, Darren told everyone it was his fault. I can’t afford for that to come out. The guys promised not to say a thing.”