Home Scandal and Gossip Father dies of flesh eating bacteria 48 hours after contracting it during...

Father dies of flesh eating bacteria 48 hours after contracting it during Florida beach trip

Dave Bennett flesh eating bacteria
Cheryl Bennett Wiygul father, Dave Bennett contracts flesh eating bacteria and dies two days later. Photos via Facebook
 Dave Bennett flesh eating bacteria
Cheryl Bennett Wiygul father, Dave Bennett contracts flesh eating bacteria and dies two days later. Photos via Facebook

Cheryl Bennett Wiygul father, Dave Bennett contracts flesh eating bacteria and dies two days later. How a man with compromised immune system succumbed to necrotizing fasciitis.

A Florida man has died 48 hours after contracting flesh eating bacteria while out on a beach paddling trip with his family over the 4th of July according to the man’s daughter.

‘Flesh Eating Bacteria sounds like an urban legend,’ wrote Cheryl Bennett Wiygul, of Niceville, in a Facebook post, Wednesday. ‘Let me assure you that it is not.’

Wiygul’s father, Dave Bennett, had been visiting from Memphis last week and was in Destin — a popular Gulf of Mexico beach spot — with her and her mother.

The family had been enjoying a day of jet ski riding and ‘throwing the ball around in the water’ at Rocky Bayou — an inlet connecting to Choctawhatchee Bay — when Bennett got infected.

‘We had a blast,’ remembered Wiygul, describing the week leading up to it.

‘We were out in the bay on the boat near Crab Island, went to the beach in Destin twice, splashed around Turkey Creek, swam in Boggy Bayou, in our pool and then on Friday we spent the day at Rocky Bayou,’ the daughter posted. ‘We left around 4:00 p.m. Daddy stayed up late Friday night and watched a movie. He was happy and talkative, seemed to feel fine as he did all week.’

On Saturday morning, Bennett woke up with ‘a fever, chills and some cramping.’

‘My parents had planned to head back to Memphis that morning anyway and my mom wanted him to be near his doctors to have him checked out,’ Wiygul said, noting how her dad ‘had cancer, therefore his immune system was compromised.’

‘He’d been sick before and they knew his history,’ she added, ‘so it seemed like the best thing to do.’

Cheryl Bennett Wiygul and father, Dave Bennett
Pictured, Cheryl Bennett Wiygul and her father, Dave Bennett who contracted flesh eating bacteria and died 48 hours later.

Family had come prepared, so they thought: 

According to Wiygul, the family had been aware of recent problems with ‘naturally-occurring bacteria’ in the waters around Destin, and had tried to come prepared.

‘My parents were coming down to stay with me in Florida about a week after the post about a 12-year-old girl contracting bacteria that turned into necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria) in Destin started circling around,’ Wiygul posted. ‘I didn’t want to believe that. My family loves being in the water. Our county, Okaloosa County, posted an article titled ‘Rumor Control’ in response to the post which seemed to diffuse everyone’s fears. The girl had a cut on her leg so I felt like it reinforced to me not to go in with a cut. I researched a little. When my parents got in town I was fanatical about Neosporin and liquid bandaid. My Dad didn’t have any open wounds. He had a couple places that were practicality healed small scratches on his arms and legs that I made sure were super sealed up. My mom religiously sun-blocked him. We were taking precautions and we were good, so I thought.’

Bennett had ‘battled cancer for many years’ and had ‘been in the water several times, so it didn’t seem like a risk’ to go swimming, Wiygul said.

Less than 48 hours after their trip to Rocky Bayou, her father was dead.

Wiygul recounted how doctors tried their best to save her dad, but there was ultimately nothing they can do.

‘As they were helping him get changed into his hospital gown they saw this terribly swollen black spot on his back that was not there before. My mom sent me a picture of it and it felt like someone sucker punched me. I called and asked if it was actually black (because sometimes color is off in a photo) and she said it was black. I never saw a cut on his back and neither did she. We certainly hadn’t seen this spot. I told her to tell them he was in the water in Florida and it was necrotizing fasciitis. She told everyone that came in the room. One person told her the media had blown that out of proportion. Others said it was staph. They would not biopsy it. They did start him on IV antibiotics. The black spot had doubled in size. A new one was starting to pop up. His arms were becoming more blotchy by the minute and he was in a great deal of pain. Some of the nurses said they’d never seen anything like it. At 1 a.m. he became septic and they moved him into ICU. He coded shortly after and they had to bring him back. My dad had a lot of medical issues but heart was not one of them. They had to intubate him. He coded again. They said his organs were too damaged and his blood was too acidic to sustain life. He was gone by Sunday afternoon.’

Florida woman dies after contracting flesh eating bacteria while walking along beach (two weeks ago)

Crab fishing NJ dad contracts necrotizing fasciitis to lose all four limbs as condition deteriorates

Houston daycare teacher loses foot to flesh eating bacteria (after thinking it was a blister)

How? Texas woman dies from flesh eating bacteria after eating raw oysters

Lindsey Hubley lawsuit: Halifax mom contracts flesh eating bacteria after birth (loses all four limbs)

Vibrio vulnificus, which manifests into necrotizing fasciitis:

Lab results later confirmed that Bennett had contracted ‘Vibrio vulnificus, which manifests into necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria) ultimately leading to sepsis,’ according to Wiygul.

‘Vibrio vulnificus is a bacteria that is transmitted by eating undercooked shellfish or through an open wound,’ she explained. ‘There were no bacteria warnings at any beach or park we went to. They do post advisories for high bacteria but there were none.’

Wiygul hopes that her dad’s death and other similar incidents will finally get officials to do something to warn people. A 77-year-old woman was infected just last month and also died after swimming in Florida waters.

‘I would never have taken my Dad in the water if there was a bacteria advisory,’ Wiygul said, ‘but it would have been because I didn’t want him to get a stomach virus not because I thought it would kill him.’

She added, ‘I knew you shouldn’t swim with an open wound but I didn’t realize he shouldn’t be in the water with his immune system. I feel like I should have known and that is something I will live with for the rest of my life. If I would have done more research I would have but I don’t think the general public realizes it either. I do believe if there was a simple sign posted about the risk of swimming with an open wound or an immune disorder, we wouldn’t have let him get in.’

Vibrio vulnificus causes about 205 infections in the United States every year, the CDC estimates. Anyone can be affected, but people with compromised immune systems or liver disease are more likely to get an infection and severe complications, the CDC says.

Did Bonita Fetterman contract flesh eating bacteria at Myrtle Beach? Authorities dispute claim

How Katie Widdowson died from necrotising fasciitis: Rare flesh eating disease after sex game

‘Where’s my foot?’ Chey Alvarez wakes up from 2 week coma

Necrosis: Venezuelan girl’s leg turns black after snake bite. May die now