Walmart memo remove violent video games goes viral as employees and social media commentators question new policy which will still allow the selling of guns. Move comes after recent Walmart shootings.
A memo released by Walmart has told of the outlet removing violent video game displays while continuing to sell guns. The new company policy follows recent shootings in two of its stores.
Employees were sent were sent the memo on Thursday, which circulated online, instructing them to ‘immediately’ remove ‘aggressive’ displays, including hunting videos and combat games.
The announcement comes after 22 people were killed at a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas, as well after two managers where shot dead by a disgruntled worker in Southaven, Mississippi.
Ironically the move comes on the very same day when a 20 year-old man was stopped after he was filmed himself walking through a Walmart in Springfield, Missouri, wielding a loaded assault rifle and 100 rounds of ammunition while wearing a bullet proof vest.
The memo instructed workers to remove PlayStation or Xbox demos that ‘contain violent themes or aggressive behavior’ or ‘combat style or third-person shooter games’.
Told a Walmart spokesperson via USA Today: ‘We’ve taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week, and this action does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment’.
Apparently Walmart is telling its employees to take down displays that show violent video games, specifically shooters, as well as movies and hunting videos. pic.twitter.com/2N3t4B86tf
— Kenneth Shepard (@shepardcdr) August 7, 2019
Walmart memo remove violent video games goes viral: But selling guns are ok. For now:
But perhaps what was most interesting was what the nation’s largest discount shopping retailer went on to say.
Walmart went on to say it will continue to sell guns, adding that there has been ‘no change in policy’.
Employees are now planning a mass ‘sick-out’ strike in the hopes to persuade the chain to stop selling guns and ammunition.
According to CNN, three co-workers emailed more than 20,000 employees calling for the ‘sick out’.
A second letter was then sent urging employees who were unable to call in sick to wear black in solidarity and to sign a petition.
Walmart says it will rethink the company’s approach to gun violence, claiming it will be ‘thoughtful and deliberate’.
Posted CEO Doug MicMillon on Facebook: ‘We will be thoughtful and deliberate in our responses, and we will act in a way that reflects the best values and ideals of our company, with a focus on serving the needs of our customers, associates and communities.’
Walmart is one of the largest retailers of guns and ammunition in the world, and only sells handguns in Alaska. As of last year, it stopped selling guns to anyone under the age of 21.
And then there were these predictable responses on social media too. See what you think? Cause money almost always comes first before public safety and well being. Right?
i feel so comforted knowing that next time i go to walmart to buy a gun i wont have to see those HORRIBLE VIDEO GAME ADS https://t.co/5jNwLBRPPl
— Autumn Farrell (@_rufhaus) August 9, 2019
Guy at a @Walmart in 2020.
“I wanna buy this AR-15”
“Sure thing pal”
“I’ll also take 300 rounds of high velocity ammo”
“You got it sport”
“Gimme one of those 100 round drum mags too”
“Done & done”
“And add this video game in there”
“WHOA! SLOW DOWN RAMBO! ARE YOU NUTS?”
— Billy Redacted (@BillyRedacted) August 7, 2019