Salman Abedi has been identified as the Manchester Arena suicide bomber as authorities seek to determine if he was a lone agent or acting on behalf of ISIS?
British authorities have identified 23 year old man, Salman Abedi as the suicide bomber responsible for the Manchester Arena terrorism explosion which led to 22 people dying and 119 injured, including children.
A report via CBS News told of the explosion killing Abedi instantly after having brought a nuts and bolt device clandestinely in his backpack before self detonating as concert goers made their way at the end of Ariana Grande’s performance.
To date confusion remains as to the suicide bomber’s proper name, with NBC News saying Abedi also went by the name of Salmon Ramadan Abedi.
Authorities went on to say that Abedi is believed to have used a ‘sophisticated’ device device and was believed to be the sole agent in the attack. Initial analysis suggested the self detonating mechanism was made by an expert.
Identification of the man came after authorities collected remaining pieces of the alleged suicide bomber and making an identification. The man told Manchester police was known to them.
While authorities maintained Monday night’s attack was carried out by a lone suspect, officials were trying to figure out who knew about the attack before hand and if there was a network of people helping? Enter ISIS.
Following the attack, ISIS claimed responsibility which coincided with the upcoming British elections and the ongoing tensions in Syria and Iraq. That said, the known Islamic terror group did not divulge the name of the suicide bomber.
Authorities believe Abedi timed the attack as fans exited the building, for maximum damage, in an area just outside of the security perimeter.
The explosion occurred near the foyer area of the arena, British Transport Police told The Sun. Sources said the explosion was a ‘nail bomb attack,’ but police have not confirmed that detail.
Abedi was previously known to British authorities. A report via the the Daily Telegraph Abedi was born in Manchester on New Year’s Eve 1994, the son of two Libyans who came to Britain to escape the Gaddafi regime.
It is understood Abedi had three siblings, two brothers and a sister. Some of the man’s family had returned to Libya since the fall of Colonel Gaddafi.
Told neighbor, Roshanay Bukhari: ‘They are a Libyan family. They speak Arabic together and they have Libyan flags in their garden.
‘There is a mother, a father and their son Salman. The mother used to teach my younger sister to read the Koran because it us in Arabic.
‘They dressed very traditionally, in Islamic clothes. The mother used to wear a headscarf.’
— Aüd™ (@CodeAud) May 23, 2017
Manchester Arena pic.twitter.com/IIY0Q5hD4i
— Peter Bendicho (@PitBendicho) May 22, 2017
The attack given the nature of the attendees targeted most children and their parents who’d come to see the Disney legend.
According to ITV News, the wounds were consistent with shrapnel injuries and nuts and bolts were found at the scene.
Of note, CBS reported the alleged suicide bomber prior to the attack having taken the Tube to Victoria Station, before going to the ticket area of the arena where they an explosive device as people left the concert. Investigators found ball bearings at the scene and have traced the bomber’s movements through CCTV cameras.
Of question is whether Abedi was connected to a larger network or was working alone?
— Rita Katz (@Rita_Katz) May 23, 2017
— Quinton Jackson (@alaskantexanQCT) May 23, 2017
Following the blast, ISIS supporters began celebrating the attack on social media, and the group officially claimed responsibility on Tuesday through its Amaq News Agency, according to the SITE Intelligence Group.
Reports also emerged that there had been warnings on Twitter – four hours before the attack.
An unverified Twitter account posted two messages and an image of an ISIS flag.
The messages appeared to predict the atrocity at the arena filled with 21,000 fans.
One message said: ‘Are you forget our threat?’
Followed by: ‘This is just the beginning.’
Noted Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins in a statement: ‘We are currently treating this as a terrorist incident until we know otherwise. We are working closely with the national counter terrorism policing network and UK intelligence partners,’
Adding, ‘This is clearly a concerning time for people but we are doing all we can working with local and national agencies to support those affected and gather information about what has happened tonight. As you will understand we are still receiving information and updates so will provide more details when we have a clearer picture.’
Reiterated Hopkins, ‘I want to thank people for their support and would ask them to remain vigilant and if they have any concerns report them in confidence to us on the Anti-Terrorist Hotline 0800 789321. It is important people avoid the area so that we can effectively deal with the incident.’
Following Monday night’s attack, police arrested a 23-year-old man on Tuesday in South Manchester reported ABC News. He has not been identified and his role in the plot is not yet known.
Police were carrying out raids on several locations around Greater Manchester on Tuesday.
Noted a purported statement via ISIS following the blast as cited by heavy: ‘With Allah’s grace and support, a soldier of Khilafah managed to place explosive devices in the midst of the gatherings of the Crusaders in the British city of Manchester, in revenge for Allah’s religion, in an endeavor to terrorize the mushirkin and in response to their transgressions against the lands of the Muslims,’
‘The explosive devices were detonated in the shameless concert arena, resulting in 30 Crusaders being killed and 70 others being wounded. And what comes next will be more severe on the worshipers of the Cross and their allies, by Allah’s permission. And all praises is due to Allah, Lord of the creation.’
The statement called him a soldier of the Khilafah, or caliphate. It also says the attack was meant to terrorize the ‘mushirkin,’ which means pagans or those who worship a false idol.
Nevertheless, experts remain skeptical of ISIS’ claim of responsibility, with sources telling CBS News that the details of the statement not matching up with the actual events.
The ISIS statement says multiple devices were detonated, while officials say there was only one explosion, among other inconsistencies, including the number of victims. ISIS has at times claimed an attack when it had no direct role in the planning and execution of it, but did influence a supporter to kill on its behalf.
The bombing at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester was the deadliest in England since four British Muslims killed 52 people in suicide bombings on London’s train system in 2005.
Shocked that the Manchester bomber was named Salman Abedi and he was an ISIS member. Just as shocked that the sun rose in the east this AM.
— Bill Nelson (@Thelscwxman) May 23, 2017
The killer’s name is Salman Abedi, a largely Pakistani name. Oh no, wait, he’s NATIVE BRITISH you bigots!
— Д Markov Citadel?? (@CitadelMark) May 23, 2017
— Ellie Cheetham? (@elliefreyax) May 23, 2017
EXPLOSION AT MANCHESTER ARENA AND EVERYONE RAN OUT SO SCARY? pic.twitter.com/pJbUBoELtE
— ♡♡ (@hannawwh) May 22, 2017