A Chinese man has been riddled with tapeworms after eating too much sushi and sashimi.
Feeling irritated the man had gone to his doctor complaining of a stomach ache and itchy skin only to find out that x ray scans revealed his entire body had been infected with tapeworm after eating copious amounts of raw slices of fish.
Doctors at Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital in Guangdong Province, in eastern China would surmise the man must have eaten sushi or sashimi that had been contaminated.
According to the UK’s dailymail, research has shown ‘that eating raw or undercooked fish can lead to a variety of parasitic infections.’
Adds the tabloid: ‘Tapeworm infections occur after ingesting the larvae of diphyllobothrium, found in freshwater fish such as salmon, although marinated and smoked fish can also transmit the worm.
While cases have increased in poorer areas due to improved sanitation, cases have increased in more developed countries,’
Authors writing for the Canadian Family Physician would note the instance of contamination has increased with more people taking to eating raw fish.
Offered study author, Nancy Craig wrote: ‘The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi (slices of raw fish) is a contributor.
‘But other popular dishes might also be implicated, such as raw salted or marinated fillets – which originate from Baltic and Scandinavian countries – carpaccio – very thin slices of raw fish common in Italy, raw salmon and ceviche – lightly marinated fish.’
Dr Yin, of Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital, told the website thatsmags.com that eating uncooked food contaminated with tapeworms’ eggs could eventually cause cysticercosis, when the adult worms enters a person’s blood stream.
This type of infection is life-threatening once it reaches the brain.
Guess what I’m never eating again…
Comments are closed.