Great Mediterranean rice dishes you can try in the kitchen that will amaze while drawing on the region’s staples, aromas and flavors.
A difference needs to be clarified, a big one. Mediterranean cuisine should not be confused with what is popularly called the “Mediterranean diet”. Certainly, Mediterranean gastronomy encompasses how some ingredients typical of that region are processed and cooked, focused strictly on aromas and flavors.
What characterizes Mediterranean food?
Mediterranean gastronomy is one of the most recognized in the culinary world. But what outstanding aspects does this type of gastronomy have? First, it is important to point out its place of origin, the Mediterranean basin, hundreds of coasts around that sea that crosses the borders of several countries.
That is why it is difficult to limit it to a single culture, since it encompasses gastronomy traditions from Spain, Malta, Turkey, Italy Greece, France, even Israel and those from North Africa.
Nonetheless, certain similarities can be pointed out, since all of these cuisines give the ingredients the importance they deserve. The use of olives, grapes, and wheat, is the foundation of Mediterranean gastronomy. With these basic products all cultures that evolved around the Mediterranean sea learned centuries ago to make olive oil, flour, pasta, and wine, which are today the most important elements of their cuisines.
Without forgetting, of course, fish, shellfish, vegetables and fruits. Along with these, rice plays an important role, and it’s almost essential in Mediterranean salads.
Mediterranean chicken rice recipe
- 3 lemons.
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander.
- 1 tsp dried oregano.
- 1 cup crumbled feta.
- 1 onion diced.
- 3 cups long-grain white rice.
- ½ tsp salt and pepper.
- 8.8 oz halved cherry truss tomato.
- 1 carrot diced.
- 6 mushrooms.
- 6 chicken thighs (fillets).
- 1 garlic clove.
- Start by steaming the rice, and cook the chicken on the barbecue plate. Keeping that warm in the oven finishes the rice. Cut the thighs into strips and then chop the onion and the carrot very finely.
- Put the chicken, some oregano, salt, pepper and the juice of two of the lemons into a bowl. Combine them thoroughly for at least twenty minutes to achieve a good marinade.
- Grill the chicken and put it in the oven to preserve it warm.
- Continue the recipe by preparing the rice on the stove, steaming the 3 cups of rice with 4 1/2 cups of water. with this proportion, you will get a bowl of quality rice.
- Use a heavy-based wok to fry the onion and garlic, it should get to the point where they are fragrant.
- Pour vegetables and fry them well.
- Once the rice is cooked, incorporate it into the vegetable mix and toss to blend it well.
- If needed, add salt and pepper. Place the chicken over the rice, spread some feta cheese and cilantro over the top.
- To finish, add some lemon drops all over the dish.
Mediterranean rice dish with fish recipe
- 2 onions.
- 1 clove garlic.
- 1 dried red chili.
- 2 bell peppers.
- 3 raw red tomato.
- 1 cup of white rice.
- 2 cups vegetable broth.
- 26 oz fleshy white fish fillet (cod, pollock or haddock will be fine).
- 3 tbsp lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper.
- 2 tbsp olive oil.
- 4 stalks of basil.
- Peel the onions and garlic, clean the chili, and cut everything into fine dice. Clean out the peppers and separate them into strip cuts.
- Blanch the tomatoes for 2 minutes in boiling water, then carefully peel and dice them.
- Now pour 2½ cups of water into a pot and add the rice. Cook over high heat for 6 minutes until it reaches a high temperature and begins to bubble. Add some salt and lower to medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium size skillet, put the diced onion, chili, and garlic and sauté everything. Then pour the rice over and sauté for a short time.
- Pour in the broth and the pepper, raise the heat at maximum and cook until the carrot softens. Lower the temperature and continue cooking for approx. 10 minutes.
- Divide the fillet into smaller parts, season it with salt and pepper and add the 3 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Add the fish, the cut tomatoes with some olive oil, and integrate them. Cover and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes for the fish to cook.
- Serve with finely chopped basil on top.