Joanna Audoire a 44 year old UK mother of three plans to sue McDonald’s after suffering severe burns after a takeaway cup of tea fell onto her lap.
In her suit the woman claims the lid on her take away tea was not fitted properly when she sat down to drink the tea after purchasing tea, coca cola and food from a McDonald’s drive through venue.
The suit claims so hot was the tea that it her left her skin underneath her trousers on her left thigh peeled off – leaving her with a huge bubbling L-shaped burn the size of her hand.
Medics have since told the woman she will be scarred for life with the telemarketing worker reiterating she was forced to take off more than a week from work because of the pain she incurred.
Told Joanna Audoire of Broxbourne, Hertfordshire: ‘I am seriously considering legal action for the time I have had to take off work and for the injury and trauma I have suffered.
‘I was in immense pain. They need to take some responsibility for serving the tea as hot as that with a flimsy lid. When will they improve it? When a child is seriously burnt? It makes me cross.
‘The lid couldn’t have been on properly, and I know tea is hot, but was it too hot on this occasion? I think it was. It was very very painful. It shouldn’t have happened.’
At the time of the incident the divorced mother was shopping with her pal Karen Prodromou in Waltham Abbey, Essex, when they picked up food and drinks from McDonalds.
She said she was sat in the passenger seat when she realised the Coke – which was in a cardboard holder with the tea – was about to topple, so she reached to grab it.
The hot drink lid slid off and half a cup of tea covered her legs, she claims.
Reiterated Audoire: ‘I jumped out the car and was hopping around. At the time I had no idea the damage that had been caused,’
‘I got to work and I pulled my trousers down to go to the loo and it was horrible – the skin came off too. I got to the walk in centre and the treated it. They said it will probably scar.’
A spokesman for McDonalds has since told: ‘We regret to hear that Ms Audoire sustained an injury following her visit to our restaurant.
‘The safety and wellbeing of our customers and employees is our first priority and all of our restaurant crew are trained to serve hot drinks in a safe manner.
‘We are treating this incident very seriously and following Ms Audoire’s recent contact with our Customer Services Department, we have launched a full investigation in to this matter.’
And then there was this comment on the web that made me wonder:
Tea is hot stuff yet I am guessing that you managed to make yourself a cup of it at home and or at work and even perhaps drink them without self harm. Bet these cups didn’t have lids on. Why did you decide to pour a cup of the scalding stuff all over yourself just because it came from McDonalds. Do I detect an injury claim in the offing. Just be careful, they could counter sue for gross stupidity.