Custom Gold Grillz: How wearing grillz teeth became a symbol of empowerment and fashion statement as well as a symbol of belonging in a subculture.
If you’re thinking of making a bold new fashion statement, or if you’re wondering about the best look for your musical act, you might consider wearing gold grillz on your teeth. With custom gold grillz, you can get a perfect fit for the shape of your teeth and mouth, and acquire a piece that can complement your look for years.
But why would you wear gold grillz in the first place?
The Fashion of Gold Grillz
Dental grillz are essentially a type of jewelry worn over the teeth, and are generally removable. They began to emerge in the early 1980s, worn by hip-hop musicians in New York City, but they started getting big in the 90s in the Oakland community. In the 2000s, they began to see an explosion of popularity, and started making their way into pop culture.
There are a few reasons why you might wear gold grillz:
* Fitting into a subculture. Grillz are commonly associated with certain demographics and subcultures. If you’re trying to fit into those subcultures, grillz could be one way to make a statement that you belong. For example, if you’re trying to get started as a rap artist, getting a set of grillz could help you look the part (provided you also dress and act the part).
* Displaying your wealth. If you get grillz made of solid gold, or inlaid with gemstones, you’ll likely pay a bit of money. Some custom grillz are inexpensive, but some can be tens of thousands of dollars. Wearing high-end grillz is a form of opulence, displaying your wealth to others. If you’re interested in presenting yourself as rich or exuberant, grillz could be the way to do it.
* Complementing your dental shapes. Depending on the shape of your mouth and teeth, custom grillz could be used to complement and improve their appearance. For example, if you’re missing a tooth or two and you’re self-conscious about the way you look, you might use gold grillz to make it look like you have a mouth full of teeth.
* Getting attention. Grillz are a flashy piece of jewelry, and it’s incredibly hard to not notice someone wearing them. This makes them perfect for getting attention and generating conversation. There are several reasons why you might want to do this; for example, you might be trying to make a statement in public, or you might be trying to make your band more memorable.
Health and Safety
If you do decide to wear custom gold grillz, there are some health and safety factors you should keep in mind. For example:
* Permanent options are not recommended. Most dental grillz are temporary; they can snap on and off fairly easily. However, some are meant to be permanent. Some people have their teeth reshaped so the grillz can fit like a permanent crown. Others have dental grillz glued on. These methods aren’t recommended by dentists, because the glue can cause long-term harm to your teeth and other oral tissues.
* Some people have allergic reactions. Grillz can be made of any number of materials, including precious metals and base metals. For some people, these materials can cause an allergic reaction. If you wear these grillz for more than a minute or two, it could result in major damage to the inside of your mouth.
* Extra dental hygiene is important. Basic dental hygiene is always important, but it’s especially important if you’re routinely wearing grillz. When you’re wearing grillz over your teeth, you’re essentially trapping debris and bacteria in your teeth. At least twice a day, it’s important to remove your grillz, brush and floss thoroughly, and preferably, rinse with a fluoride mouthwash. It’s also a good idea to remove your grillz before eating things.
* Talk to your dentist. To be on the safe side, it’s a good idea to talk to your doctor before deciding to buy or wear custom grillz. They’ll be able to help you understand the health and safety steps involved in wearing grillz, and may be able to recommend a certain material to you.
Still, even with these points considered, custom grillz are largely safe. There are no long-term studies that suggest that grillz (by themselves) are harmful to your oral health.
Getting the Right Grillz
Your satisfaction with grillz will depend on the type of grillz you get. Obviously, you’ll want a material that can show off your personality, but you also need a material that’s comfortable for you. You’ll want to get your grillz from a reputable, reliable manufacturer so they look and feel as good as possible. And most importantly, you’ll want to get custom gold grillz that fit your teeth perfectly; off-the-shelf models simply won’t be as comfortable (or as good for your oral health).