6 month old baby survives in Michigan motel room after parents, Jessica Bramer and Christian Reed are found dead of a suspected drug overdose. No foul play suspected.
A 6-month-old baby was found severely dehydrated — but alive — after spending several days alone in a Michigan motel with the bodies of her deceased parents.
On Friday around noon, a Michigan State Trooper, responding to a request for a well-being check at the Rodeway Inn in Whitehall found the bodies of Jessica Bramer, 26, of Grand Rapids, and Christian Reed, 28, of Marne, WOOD-TV reported.
The baby was taken to a local hospital before being flown to the Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital in Grand Rapids where she was initially listed in critical condition, the Detroit Free Press reported.
The child is believed to have been alone in the room for ‘a period of days,’ WZZM 13 reported. Itl is thought housekeeping last checked the motel room three days prior to the grim discovery. It remained unclear why a more regular schedule at the motel wasn’t kept.
The baby, whose name is Skylah, is now doing better and is expected to make a full recovery.
Drug paraphernalia was found with the couple’s bodies according to cops.
An autopsy was performed but did not determine an immediate cause of death for Bramer and Reed.
Jessica Bramer and Christian Reed struggled with sobriety and had CPS involved.
The Holland Sentinel reported it will take at least 30 days for toxicology results to be returned. Police believe there were no indications of foul play surrounding the couple’s deaths.
Family members said Bramer and Reed had been in and out of jail and had been staying at the motel for about a week before they died.
In January, Skylah’s grandparents contacted Children’s Protective Services because they were concerned about the baby’s welfare.
It remained unclear who will now gain custody of the child.
Michigan State Police are asking that anyone who had contact with Bramer or Reed after May 14 to contact D/Sgt. Denise Bentley at 616-866-4411.